Dual-Enrollment and Independent Studies


These opportunities allow a student or group of students to meet or exceed the core standards in any subject area through alternative activities. Documentation of the student’s achievement of the curricular objectives is required. Courses may be taken for credit. Students may choose to take courses related to an area of interest, elective courses and/or courses that are not offered at Hoboken Charter School. An application must be completed prior to enrollment in the course. No credit will be given without prior approval. This program is not intended to replace offered courses rather it is to enhance the existing curriculum. 

Independent study program is intended for an individual who seeks intense study in an academic area not currently offered by our curriculum. Independent studies may not replace a course listed in this Course Offerings.  Students interested in an Independent Study must submit an application found here.


Hoboken Charter School has partnered with Fairleigh Dickinson University, Hudson County Community College, and Saint Peter’s University to offer rising juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn college credits through dual-enrollment courses. Students will receive credit at both HCS and the college upon successful completion of the course.  


While it is not guaranteed that all colleges will accept transfer credits into every program, all colleges will appreciate that students challenged themselves to take college courses when considering applications. This site has a good discussion of whether dual credit courses might be right for your student. Students interested in dual enrollment must complete and submit an application found here.


On campus at HCS:

Fairleigh Dickinson University – Middle College Program: This program provides courses on our campus that result in college credit for those who qualify.  FDU’s Middle College program gives college-bound juniors and seniors the opportunity to experience university-style learning before they even graduate high school.  The Middle College Program can give students college credit and/or advanced standing.  


Off Campus:

Hudson County Community College – Early College Program: This program permits high school juniors and seniors to enroll in up to 18 college-level credits per academic year and earn credits towards a degree. The program is open to students who demonstrate the knowledge and ability to take and successfully complete college-level work. These courses will take place on HCCC’s campus. Click here for information about the HCCC program.

Saint Peter’s University – Accelerated College Experience (ACE): This program is designed for academically talented high school juniors and seniors. ACE offers students the unique opportunity to earn up to 18 college credits for advanced course-work completed during high school. ACE is a concurrent enrollment program that allows high school students an opportunity to reduce their college costs and time to earn a Bachelor’s degree. These courses will take place on Saint Peter’s campus. Click here for information about the Saint Peter’s program.


Graduating Seniors and HCS Alumni – Requesting College Transcripts

If you completed a dual-enrollment course while attending HCS and would like to have that course evaluated for transfer credit at your current institution, you must request transcripts from the affiliated college. 


Fairleigh Dickinson University – Middle College Program: To request transcripts, visit www.getmytranscript.org and select “Fairleigh Dickinson Univ-Middle College Program” from the drop-down menu to proceed to the request page.


Hudson County Community College: Visit https://www.hccc.edu/TranscriptRequests/ 

Saint Peter’s University: Visit https://www.saintpeters.edu/enrollment-services/records-and-registration/transcripts/