Hoboken Charter School Virtual Lottery – Friday, January 22, 2021, at 10:00 a.m.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 986 6150 9764
Dial-in: +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 986 6150 9764
* Admitted applicants will receive a phone call before the end of the day on Friday, January 22, 2021.
* Applicants that do not receive a call will be able to check their status on the website under lottery results. The results will be posted at 3:00 p.m. on Monday, January 25, 2021.
The Hoboken Charter School has established the following policy regarding student admissions:
On a predetermined day in January, a public lottery will be held to determine admission to the school for siblings of enrolled students, Hoboken residents and out-of-district residents.
Admission to kindergarten is based on the student reaching the age of five by the resident district deadline. Hoboken residents applying for kindergarten must meet the cut off date of October 1. Please consult your residential district board of education for cut off dates. Placement in all other grades is contingent on the successful completion of the prior academic year.
During a given academic year or during the summer months prior to the start of that academic year, when a space becomes available the waitlists established at the lottery will be used to determine admission to the school. If a family, for whatever reason, chooses not to accept the space, they will be withdrawn from the waitlist.
All applications received prior to the established cut-off date will be eligible for participation in the admission lottery. At the lottery, only new spaces will be lotteried.
Applications received after the lottery will be held in a reserve pool. A reserve pool will be established for each of the four waitlists.
The following list outlines the priority order for admission with regard to waitlists and the reserve pool:
- The Hoboken Resident Sibling Waitlist
- The Out-of-District Sibling Waitlist
- The Hoboken Resident Waitlist
- The Out-of-District Waitlist
Hoboken Charter School provides a 3:1 application weight in the lottery to economically disadvantaged students applying to the K-8 program with proof of certain forms of public assistance. Families who believe they qualify for this lottery weight and want to participate must indicate how they qualify on the application. Proof or verification is required to be submitted to HCS no later than Thursday, January 7, 2021 by 5:00 P.M.
- All applications received prior to the established cut-off date will be eligible for participation in the admission lottery.
- Prior to the lottery, applicants will be assigned numbers. Families who have more than one child seeking admission to the school will be given one family number.
- Spaces available in any grade will be filled from the Sibling waitlists before students on the Hoboken and Out-of-District waitlists are offered spaces.
- Each lottery number will be sorted with the appropriate priority order lists. When pulled, these numbers will be drawn for the appropriate grade level(s).
- Prior to the assignment of open spaces in any classes, all numbers will be pulled from the lottery sorter and rank orderings for siblings (Hoboken and Out-of-District residents), Hoboken residents and Out-of-District residents will be established.
- These rank orderings will be used to assign students to available spaces in classes or, if there are no available spaces, to the respective waitlist in the order that the number was pulled from the sorter.
- In the case where two or more siblings (with no siblings enrolled in the school) are applying for admission, and one sibling is admitted to a class, the placeholder on the master-ranking list for the other sibling(s) will be marked “Sibling” only once their admitted sibling completes their first day of school at HCS.
- Families who are admitted will be sent letters of intent. Families will have two weeks from the date of the January lottery to return their letters of intent. Families who do not return the letter of intent by the end of this two-week period will be dropped from the school’s rolls and the space will be filled from one of the four standing waitlists.
- If a child at the time of enrollment, has not passed all grade level coursework, the family will need to re-apply for the child’s grade that has not been passed as HCS does not promote without proof of having passed all previous grade coursework credits.
- During a current academic year (first day of summer vacation though the last day of school), when a spot becomes available the waitlists established at the most current lottery will be used to determine admission to the school. If a family, for whatever reason, chooses not to accept the space, they will be withdrawn from the waitlist.